Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 28, 2011

writing...for my enjoyment as well as yours


This blog post is for my Feature Writing class at #CreightonUniversity but don't worry, I will still be keeping up with my sports blogs as well.

Since I was in middle school, I always took more of an interest in writing than math or science. English and writing just came easier to me. In high school it was the same deal. I even joined the yearbook and wrote for our school paper because I enjoyed writing stories that others were going to read. Finding this passion to write and want my ideas to be heard, eventually directed me towards what I wanted to major in at Creighton.
To be honest my writing experience has been like a roller coaster ride. Up and down, back and forth. I always feel like I reach a point where my writing is at an all time high, and then I'm brought back to earth and something makes me realize that there is always room for improvement. Whether it be creativity, spelling, punctuation, or the structure of the story, I have found that it is good to fail sometimes, because in the end, you will become a better writer.
I love to write and read anything that has to do with sports. I'm that guy who grabs the morning paper and takes out the sports section only. I'll sit down to eat breakfast in front of the tv and turn on #sportscenter. When bringing reading material on a plane or long drive, I always either read a #SportsIllustrated or #ESPN magazine. I love sports and with out them, I probably wouldn't have this drive to write sports articles and voice my opinions on certain topics in the sporting world.
The most important thing is to always improve as a writer, and that is my intention for this class. I know I have lots of room for improvement and feature writing could definitely help me become the best writer I can be. This also leads me to the bigger picture of why I want to write in the first place. Writing helps me get away from the world. I calm down and let my thoughts flow. I write for myself because I enjoy putting my thoughts into words. But I also want to write for other people. I love having conversations with others on topics of interest and a big part of why I want to write is to share my thoughts with others. Sparking conversation, debating topics, or even just reflecting with others about my writing means a lot to me, thats why I also write, for the enjoyment of others.

-Jonathan Sinkiewicz

No comments:

Post a Comment