Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Which player would I build and NFL team around?

The other day I came across an article on ESPN.com talking about starting a new NFL franchise and which player to build around. Now the writer went into detail about which owner he would want, which General Manager, and even head coach before picking his player. I'm however skipping right to picking which player I would build an NFL team with.

First off, I know the saying "defense wins championships" holds a lot of truth to it, but I will not be choosing an a defensive player to start my team with. First off, currently there is no defensive player in the NFL that can dominate on a daily basis, they have their weak spots. Second off it is an offensive and pass happy league, therefore not only will I not be choosing a defensive player but I also won't choose a receiver, tight end, offensive lineman, or running back. I don't care how good Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson are, if they don't have a good QB, their stats won't lead their teams to wins. Same thing with a running back. If your team leads the league in rushing yards but you QB can't convert on a 3rd and long play to extend your drive then you also won't be getting many W's. That leaves us with the quarterback position.

In order to have success in the NFL, your team must have solid play from its QB. Now I'm going name my top quarterbacks currently in the league and explain why I would start a team with them or why I wouldn't take the chance.

Lets start with Michael Vick. Vick is possibly the most versatile and athletic player in the NFL today. He is a home run waiting to happen. One play he is throwing a 60 yard bomb for a TD, and the next he is ripping off a 45 yard run and converting a 3rd and long. This guy is dynamic in so many ways, but I would not start my NFL team with Vick. Here is why. Vick comes with a beware sticker on him. Because he is a running quarterback, you risk him getting injured meaning he can miss a few games each year or possibly be out for a season. I love his upside, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Next is Tom Brady, who is arguably the best player in the NFL today. The guy has three super bowl rings and rarely makes a mistake on the field. He is a natural leader on the field, and his teammates respect him and build around him. Again a good player to start your team with but Brady is getting older and he has been injured a few times of late. He is a solid QB to start a team with but he isn't my number one choice.

This is where it gets a little tricky for me. My heart tells me to pick THE Peyton Manning. The guy picks a part defenses as if he were playing against a bunch of high school zone packages. He is without a doubt one of the best QB's to ever play the game and could go down as the best ever if he wins another title or two. Manning is a proven winner and he has done with a sub par running game and defense during his career. Like Brady, Manning is a great leader on and off the field and one of the most respected players in the league today. But again Manning isn't my choice. I don't have a legit reason as to why I wouldn't choose Manning. The only reason I can think of is because the next QB I'm going to talk about is on the rise and has the potential to be great.

That leads me to my decision. Wow, I feel like Lebron James and how he dragged everyone along this bumpy road before announcing his decision to "take his talents south beach (Miami)". The player I would choose is Aaron Rodgers, the QB for the super bowl champion Green Bay Packers. The guy has it all. He is smart, can make any throw on the field, and has the ability to to take off and scramble for big yards. Not to mention he just added a super bowl ring to his resume, and has the coolest TD celebration in the league (the championship belt). Rodgers is young and dynamic, and has all the skills sets of the previous guys I mentioned. I am someone who loves to win and I want to win right away. That is why I didn't take choose Sam Bradford of the St. Louis Rams. Rodgers gives me everything I want. A young agile QB, who knows how to win in this league and still has a long successful career ahead of him. Not to mention he helped my fantasy football team reach the semis last season. The guy can flat out play the position and knows how to lead a team. In the face of adversity, he rises to the occasion and plays out of his mind.

So, when having a friendly conversation with your buds about who the best player in the NFl is, you don't have say "Aaron Rodgers", but you can say, "boy I would love to start an NFL team with him leading the way".

No comments:

Post a Comment