Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 29, 2010

NCAA Hoops begin to heat up

In these last 2 weeks, we have begun the week with a different #1 team in the nation, and the trend will most likely continue due to Kentucky losing on tuesday to South Carolina. Kansas will most likely make its way back to the #1 spot.
With the rankings switching every week and March being right around, who looks like they could be a contender for a national championship? Here are my top five teams.

1.Kansas Jayhawks
-When you look at the Jayhawks roster, I believe they have the perfect balance of senior leadership, and young talented players. Sherron Collins in my opinion is the best pure point guard in the country at the college level paired with his experience and leadership, he makes everyone around him better. Surrounding him are a number of talented and athletic players along with a great coach, I see Kansas as the number 1 team in the country.

2. Syracuse Orangemen
-Jim Boeheim has "the Cuse" back in the top 5, but in my opinion they are the second best team in the nation. The 2-3 zone is at its best, and unless teams shoot the ball extremely well from the outside teams are going to struggle to put up points. They make teams play their style and most teams can't keep up with them. I see them as a final four team in Indianapolis.

3. Villanova Wildcats
-As of right now, they are actually ranked above Syracuse, the reason I have them at the number 3 spot is do to the fact that Syracuse is playing their best basketball now where as I feel Villanova played there best ball at the beginning of the season but they are still a top five team and play in the hardest conference. Scottie Reynolds and Cory Fisher make for one of the best backcourts in the nation, making this Villanova a top team in the country.

4. Texas Longhorns
-Sure, the Longhorns have slipped of late but in my mind they are a great tournament team and very well coached. I actually believe this drop could help them in the long run, making them a team looking to reek havoc in the tournament.

5. Kentucky Wildcats
- Kentucky might have the most talented roster in the nation, along with a player of the year candidate in John Wall, who might I add is a freshman. Kentucky is also one of the youngest teams in the nation which makes me worry that they won't be able to win the big game in tournament. John Caliparri's teams in the past have also been known to choke, and shoot a poor percentage at the free throw line. He is a great recruiter but not a great coach in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment